Thursday, February 16, 2012

Slow Cooker Herb-roasted Chicken

One of my family's very favorite meals is a whole roasted chicken.  This meal used to be a weekend only meal since in the oven, it takes a good hour and a half to cook. I rarely have that much time to cook a meal during the week.  That was until I discovered that it's just as good in the slow-cooker.
Here's the recipe that I use to cook chicken that my husband brags about and that has been the main dish at Christmas and Thanksgiving get-togethers in our family.

Ingredient List:

1 whole chicken (3-4lbs.)
2 TBS butter, melted
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. dried basil
1/2 tsp. ground sage
1/2 tsp. dried thyme, crushed
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp lemon pepper or black pepper

Mix all dry seasonings together.
Ball up three pieces of foil and put in the bottom of your slow cooker so your chicken isn't sitting in the juices all day.  This sort of acts as your roasting rack.
Rinse chicken inside and out. Dry well with paper towels.
Fold the wings down behind the back.

Drop chicken into the slowcooker.
Brush on melted butter.
Rub chicken with garlic and sprinkle with seasoning mix.
Here's a picture before it's cooked...sorry no cooked picture...
it never seems to last long enough to get a picture:)
I let my chicken cook for about 8 hours on low because that's about how long I'm away from the house.  You could try it on high for less time.

The juices from the chicken make a terrific gravy.  Note:  The gravy recipe is not exact...it's one of those eyeball-it recipes for me.  But here's what I do:

Just pour the juices from the slow cooker into a skillet and let them come to a boil, add about 1/2 cup flour and stir for a few minutes, about 3 I guess..  It will be thick at this point but you want to let it cook for a few minutes or your gravy will taste like flour.  Add a large container of chicken broth and maybe some cracked pepper.  Whisk as you add the broth and continue to whisk as it comes to a boil.   You may add more water if it seems to thick for your liking.

Enjoy!



0 Sweet Comments:

Post a Comment