Saturday, February 5, 2011

Mind your Own Business...

No, this isn't a post telling you to mind your own business. It's actually the post in which God tells me to mind my own business.

Don't you just LOVE when you go to God with a very specific request or a very specific issue that you are struggling with. And then He faithfully answers you with a VERY specific answer!!

This week, actually the past few weeks, I had been REALLY stressing about some issues that didn't directly affect me or my family, but somethings that I was concerned about nonetheless. Please bear with me, because I can't give details, just wouldn't be right, and it would just be gossiping. But these were situations that were inappropriate. And I really felt like someone should say something. I prayed and prayed, lost sleep, talked to my husband, almost scheduled a meeting with a pastor at my church, I was really stressing.

God kept telling me to go to His Word. And to be completely honest, I put it off because I didn't want to do what I thought He was going to tell me to do. Ephesians 5:11-13 kept coming to mind:

11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather expose them. 12 For it is shameful even to speak of those things which are done by them in secret. 13 But all things that are exposed are made manifest by the light, for whatever makes manifest is light.

and I didn't want to ruffle feathers or make enemies. But at the same time, I felt compelled that these things needed to be brought to light. So I didn't read the Bible for several days. Spiritually, I crossed my arms and stuck out my bottom lip and pouted. I was confused.

Then I began to pray for peace. I began to pray for a gentle and quiet spirit, and a teachable heart. Then I went to God's Word.

On Thursday, I read 1 Timothy 2:1-4:

1Therefore I exhort first of all that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks be made for all men, 2for kings and all who are in authority, that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and reverence. 3 For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior, 4 who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.

On Friday I read 1 Thessalonians 4:11-12:

But we urge you, brethren, that you increase more and more; 11 that you also aspire to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business, and to work with your own hands, as we commanded you 12 that you may walk properly toward those who are outside, and that you may lack nothing.

So, in order to have that peace that I asked God for, I first needed to pray for those that I thought were doing wrong, not only that, but to give thanks for them. Then I just needed to mind my own business and go about my own work. God's Word is just amazing!

3 Sweet Comments:

  1. Hey Chas,

    I'm glad to see you have a new post! But even gladder to know that there are others who do the spiritual pout. I love how you put that. So funny! Isn't it so crazy how we think we know just what God's going to say and so we avoid Him only to find out that wasn't even close?

    Love you friend!
    Kristie

    ps, I wanted you to know that i read your other post too, and I really truly believe that God's designs' for our lives are all different, and instead of only being His light to your kids, you've got a wonderful opportunity to shine His light on so so many others as well! That's a gift, and God's work too.

    Your example after work is just as influential on your family as if your kids were at home all day! It's quality and not quantity that counts! You know, I'm a homeschooling stay at home mom and we have days when I think it'd be better to work, and lots of teachers to tell me that my kids would be better off in school. So no matter which side you're on, (not that there should be sides) there are always some ways the devil can say, you're not doing this like them, or that like them. But so long as we live out the design God gives our individual family then we are right on track. (And no one can know that design except for you and your husband!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great to hear from you, Kristie. Life would be so much easier, if we always consulted Him first. When am I ever going to learn that lesson?
    Thank you for your words of encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh goodness, we are more alike than we think. I have reacted like that so many times and it is a good thing that I have a 'rational' husband to reign me in at times.

    I haven't been here in a while and I LOVE the look of your blog! Your banner looks wonderful. Maybe you could give me some tips.

    ReplyDelete